1. I am new to the University and speak some Portuguese; in what course should I enroll?

Please contact the Associate Chair, Undergraduate, to ask for a placement recommendation: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.">This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

2. I am new to the University and speak some Spanish; in what course should I enroll?

Our placement test and language assessment page (http://spanport.utoronto.ca/undergraduate/spanish) will assist you and the department in determining in what language course you should enroll. It is in your best interest to assess your level as early as possible as registration is in high demand for many of these courses.

Please note that course instructors have the obligation to move you to a lower or higher level course if they identify your placement as inappropriate.

3. I learned Spanish / Portuguese at home, but do not feel fluent. What course should I take?

We offer SPA219 (Spanish for bilinguals or Academic Spanish) and PRT 219 (Portuguese for bilinguals or Academic Portuguese) for students who grew up speaking the language at home, but are not fully fluent and have not yet learned to read and write. This course offers a synthesis of skills that are taught in first, second and third year of Spanish or Portuguese, but the teaching of grammar, spelling and writing is designed to fit the needs of speakers who learned the language as a family language, or in a Spanish or Portuguese-speaking country, rather than in a classroom.  Do not worry if you are not as fluent in Spanish or in Portuguese as you are in English, nor have experience with grammar or writing. That is the right reason to join the course! If you have any doubts as to your ability to be in the class, please contact the Associate Chair, Undergraduate, or the Course instructor to verify your placement.

4. I wish to enroll in an independent study. How do I start?

Independent studies are not a regular offering.  These are courses set up by special arrangement between a professor and a student who wishes to further pursue an in-depth

study of a topic, not covered in our courses but still related to our program. An independent study is not intended to solve scheduling conflicts, or to duplicate our existing coursework. It is a special, individual arrangement that requires special engagement and readiness for participating students. Typically, a student seeks a professor and requests an independent course on a topic of interest to both. The professor may grant it on the basis of the students’ demonstrated ability to do independent work, availability to meet regularly, and the quality of the proposed project.  If such agreement happens, the instructor and the student jointly submit a fully detailed program of study (syllabus), which includes: 1) clear statement of purpose, 2) a reading list, 3) proposed activities, and 4) method for evaluation and appropriate standards. The department evaluates the proposed syllabus and approves it if it meets academic standards.

5.   I am a second/third year student trying to enroll in SPA100Y or SPA220Y. Why is the system not allowing me to?

First and second year Spanish has registration priority given to students in first and second year. You will have to wait until the date the system lifts priorities to access these courses.

6.  I am a student in a different faculty or campus.  The system does not let me enroll in SPA100Y, and I fear that if I wait the course will fill up?

Registration priority is given to students in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.  All other students must wait until the system opens up these courses to them, as indicated in the registration schedule. We are unable to make individual exceptions.

7.  I am a graduate student, wishing to take basic Spanish. How do I register in it?

You are free to enroll in the course through ROSI, after enrollment controls lift and graduate students are allowed registration in undergraduate courses, if space is available. At that point either you or your graduate coordinator or administrator will be able to process registration directly in ROSI. This varies from department to department, please consult with yours.  Note that although it is often difficult to find room in SPA100Y at the end of enrollment period in September, there is usually room during the summer.

8. Can I audit a course?

We regret that we do not allow auditors in our basic Spanish language classes, due to enrollment pressure. For other courses, if the instructor allows, there is a form (available in the department) and a fee (please enquire with Mrs. Paula Triana, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.).

9. When is course X offered?

For a complete list of our courses, please visit the site of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.


go to Course Information / Timetable for times and rooms, and to Sessional Dates for term start dates.

10.  I want to take courses, but I am not registered as a U of T student. How do I enroll?

You must enroll as a non-degree student to take courses at the University if you are not currently in a program.  Please note that the application process takes some time.  For information and applications, go to the admissions or the prospective student website.



11. Can I have a cognate course for my program in Spanish and Portuguese?

See the list of cognate course on this site: http://spanport.utoronto.ca/undergraduate/spanish

Any course in Spanish can count as a cognate for a degree in Portuguese, and vice versa – any course in Portuguese can count as a cognate for a degree in Spanish. Cognate credit is not allowed for the minor programs, but students enrolled in the Spanish minor can apply 1 FCE from Portuguese. Students enrolled in Portuguese can apply 1 FCE from Spanish.

12. Opportunities

How do I obtain a language citation?

To apply for the language citation present language citation request form http://spanport.utoronto.ca/undergraduate/spanish (go to “Citation” tab), accompanied by a printout of your course marks from ROSI, to the department. The citation is intended to provide recognition of language skills for students not enrolled in a degree program.

13. What can I do with a degree in Hispanic linguistics or literature & culture?

Plenty! Spanish is recognized as one of the four United Nations official languages. A degree in Spanish linguistics, literature, and culture opens up career paths both domestically and internationally. The skills that students acquire through the study of Spanish and of the Spanish-speaking world either prepare them directly for, or are an asset in some of the following fields:

  • media, journalism, marketing, public relations
  • domestic government services and NGOs, foreign services and foreign affairs specialist, international development, political aid
  • commerce, finances, tourism and hospitality
  • post-graduate studies and academic careers, cultural work
  • editing, publishing, translation, education library and information sciences
  • careers in the health profession, including medicine, speech pathology and audiology
  • computational linguistics, speech recognition and synthesis

Study abroad

What scholarships are there available in the department?

There are several small scholarships. Many require no application and are managed through Awards. We have three study abroad prices where you specifically apply to the department. These are the Doris May Barker Scholarship, the Milton A. Buchanan Scholarship and the Kurt Levy Family Latin American Studies Travel Grant. Please see the application and descriptions.  For application deadlines, please enquire.

I am interested in study abroad. Where should I go?

There is a variety of international and study abroad programs offered through the University of Toronto. The right program and country depends on your interests, whether you choose to go during academic year, a semester, or just summer.

To ensure the courses you take are applicable to your program, please make sure you apply for pre-departure authorization. If you do not do so, you can still apply for transfer credit, but there is no guarantee that the course will be transferred.  Remember to keep all the important documentation about your course such as syllabus, instructions for key assignments, etc., that may assist in the classification and accreditation of your exchange course.

For Study Abroad Programs, please consult


Information on Center for International Experience (including going abroad and exchange programs):


Information on Transfer Credit can be found at


How can I ensure the course I take abroad is useful for my program?

A rule of thumb is that a course with Spanish or Portuguese content, taken at a recognized institution, is likely to count as a valid course for your Spanish or Portuguese degree.  Courses in other topics, such as, say, History, Classics and Politics remain courses in History, Classic and Politics even when taught in a Spanish or Portuguese-speaking university, and will be sent for credit assessment in those departments.