Policy on Community Partnerships
Updated on May 30, 2022.
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese at the University of Toronto recognizes the value of providing opportunities for students to engage with new ideas, to enter conversations outside of the classroom, and to meet people with similar interests. As part of the University of Toronto, our mandate is to assist students in the realization of their educational goals especially as these involve their life-long learning and career development and, in a limited measure, their cultural and recreational activities. We welcome collaborations with community partners in the organization of events that will enrich the experience of students enrolled in our Spanish, Portuguese, and Latin American Studies programs and serve as a bridge between our University and the larger community in Toronto and its environs.
We are committed to the following principles, and only support the organization of events that uphold them as well:
- Respect for intellectual integrity, freedom of enquiry, and rational discussion;
- Promotion of equity and justice within the University and recognition of our diverse community;
- Fiscal responsibility and accountability.
We appreciate your interest in collaboration as we strive to foster an academic community in which the learning and scholarship of every member may flourish. Please, be mindful that our commitment to fiscal responsibility and accountability might prevent us from supporting activities that do not tangibly benefit students in our programs.
Therefore, we will give priority to proposals according to the following criteria:
- Events that are demonstrated to enhance the student experience.
- Events that are public, accessible and free of charge.
- Events that are co-sponsored by other departments, programs, student groups, members of the faculty or other recognized university organization.
We accept two kinds of proposals: Non-budgetary Requests / Outreach & Engagement
Partner with the Department of Spanish & Portuguese to have your event / initiative promoted on our website and through our social media channels and other communications channels only (no monetary support).
Our Department reserves the right to deny requests to events that, under its sole discretion, do not advance the principles or goals stated above.
Outreach & Engagement
Initiatives to be considered may include lectures, symposia, workshops, film screenings, etc.
If the proposal includes a request for funding, we can provide a maximum of $250 CAD. Eligible expenses include room rental, catering, event promotion, and travel as per the University of Toronto Policies and Guidelines. Other expenditures are to be approved on a case by case basis. Please review this document to be aware of the reimbursement policy at the University of Toronto. Expense Reimbursement Checklist. For any questions related to eligible travel and other reimbursable expenses, please get in touch with us.
If you are looking for a venue in the University campus to host your event, we charge a $250 CAD room booking administrative fee. If approved, your Outreach & Engagement grant can be used towards this cost and will include the rental of selected few spaces on campus, limited by availability.
Funds can be accessed once per academic year (September to August) by each applicant, and they must be spent within six months of the grant award.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, September to August. To submit an application, please contact Dr. Berenice Villagómez - our Outreach Coordinator email@example.com - to request an application form.
For your reference, the application asks the following:
- Title / date / time of activity / event or initiative;
- U of T lead(s): faculty member, academic unit, College, or recognized student group
- Description of activity
- Expected outcome and educational benefit for students in our programs
We aim to reply to all applications within twelve (12) business days. If successful, applicants are required to sign a memorandum of understanding.
All successful initiatives will be promoted on the Department of Spanish & Portuguese’s website and through social media, and other communications channels.
- Acknowledgement of the Department of Spanish & Portuguese support is requested on any printed materials and at events.
- Materials including our crest MUST be approved by our Communications team before they are printed or shared online.
- Original receipts required for reimbursement.
- In the next three (3) business days following the event, provide a 300-word post-event narrative and summary of outcomes.
If you have questions about this policy or would like to explore opportunities to collaborate with the Department of Spanish & Portuguese in the organization of an event, please book a Community Outreach remote appointment with Dr. Berenice Villagómez.